Sunday, July 3, 2011

UFC 132 Results

This ended up being a really great card, and not just because we came out ahead. There were a bunch of dramatic first round finishes, and even the fights that went to decision were exciting wars. Basically everything you could ask for in a UFC card.

My anchor bet on Siver came through, but I was nervous. I am glad the judges saw it that way, and not just because of my bet. When one fighter is doing nothing but ATTEMPTING takedowns, and the other fighter is defended AND attacking with strikes at every opportunity, the latter fighter should win. If all that happens in a round is one fighter attempting takedowns, and the other defends them, then that round should be a draw. Too often they score it for the person attempting the takedowns, even if they don't get them. The judges CAN score rounds a draw, but they never do. I think justice was served, and Siver was rewarded for actually fighting.

+ 1.54 units.

Tito came through in a big way. Glad to see him get the win. Doubly glad because I had action on him! Yeah not much, but his crazy +400 line made even that small bet a good full unit return. I don't think Tito will ever again get near the title, but hopefully he can string together a couple wins and go out on top. He never really lost a step, everybody else just got really really good.

+1 unit.

The Tavares/Simpson fight was very frustrating, and a great example of the judging issue I talked about earlier. I love watching good wrestlers bust out timely takedowns, and dominating top control, but I can't stand this new standing version of lay-n-pray against the fence. Maybe we'll call it press-n-guess. Tavares was battering Simpson on the feet, and all Simpson did was push him against the cage. Oh well. We were definitely on the right side of the line Tavares showed excellent takedown defense, and I think that if he had shown a little better fight IQ and spun off the fence and broke contact at every opportunity, he could have actually won.

-.5 units


I was as sad as anybody to see Wanderlei lose, especially in that fashion, but I wasn't surprised. As I stated in my pre-event post, their styles are similar but Leben''s chin would win out. And that's exactly what happened.

+ .7 units

Overall Event Results:

Dennis Siver(-130) vs Matt Wiman: + 1.54 units
Chris Leben(+145) vs Wanderlei Silva: + .7 units
Tito Ortiz(+400) vs Ryan Bader: + 1 unit
Brad Tavares(+195) vs Aaron Simpson: - .5 units

Overall: 3-1, +2.74 units


I've got some more bets coming up for the next strikeforce card, so keep checking back.


-The Wise Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment