Saturday, April 10, 2010

UFC 112 - Disaster

Well this card was a total ASS raping. In terms of pure predictions this is the worst card I have ever had, quite literally.

BETS:
Anderson Silva(-765) vs Demian Maia(+565): - .18 units
BJ Penn(-775) vs Frankie Edgar(+575) PASS
Matt Hughes(-435) vs Renzo Gracie(+335): + 1 unit
Kendall Grove(+150) vs Mark Munoz(-190): -.67 units
Rafael Dos Anjos(+109) vs Terry Etim(-139): -1.39 units
Alexander Gustafsson(+400) vs Phil Davis(-550): -.25 units
John Gunderson(+195) vs Paul Taylor(-245): PUSH
Nick Osipczak(+135) vs Rick Story(-165): -.74 units
Damarques Johnson(+140) vs Brad Blackburn(-170): -1.7 units
Matt Veach(-250) vs Paul Kelly(+200): -2.5 units
Mostapha Al Turk(+245) vs Jon Madsen(-305): PASS

PICKS: 4-7
BETS: 1-7-1, -6.42 units

A total disaster by any measurements, this card was especially frustrating to watch.

The ref just stood there while Munoz just hung on to an ankle like Mark Coleman and got pounded on, and then stopped it when Grove was in the same position.

I'm not even sure why the Taylor/Gunderson fight got cancelled, but I'm glad because I probably would have gotten it wrong.

Even Hughes looked like he may lose for a while.

And Anderson was pissing me off. If you are so damn good that you can just clown people then finish the damn fight! I gained a lot of respect for Maia though.

Anyway I did so badly on this card from start to finish it wasn't even enjoyable to watch. Pretty shitty overall.

-The Wise Guy

11 comments:

  1. tough...

    ditto on the Anderson comment. I actualy wonder what the exact score for the fight was (if Maia actually got a later round scored in his favor)

    I was doing well with Johnson, Munoz, and Hughes, netting 4.5 units, until BJ (and his massive ego and unwillingness to take it down) gets whooped. Had him in a parlay with Mayweather for some 6 units.

    ReplyDelete
  2. on another note: the irony of BJ, with an obviously better ground game, losing a standup fight after not heeding his corner's advice to take it down. Somewhere, Andy Wang is laughing his butt off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, shit like that is what sometimes makes me ashamed to be brazilian. If you watched Anderson's press conference interview, he just wabbles nonsensical things about disrespect, and in portuguese it's waaaay worse than what the translator tells. I lost 5 fucking units, which in fact would become 11 have BJ had a fight at least mediocre. Looking back at his comments on Andy Wang not listening to him, it's just poetic justice. Now, somewhere, the Wang is feeling vindicated. I still feel BJ won, but that doesn't change the fact that he looked like an amateur who can't change his basic gameplan during a fight. Terrible main events.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had it 3-2 for Edgar (not sure what the guy was watching scoring it 50-45). So not an actual whooping, but it's about as bad as it gets in light of everything BJ could've done.

    What exactly did Silva say?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Collovini,

    I wouldn't worry about it. Anderson's antics had nothing to do with him being Brazilian. Hell, Maia is Brazilian too and he fought like a true warrior.

    If you feel ashamed to be a Brazilian, MMA is not the place I would look for evidence to back up that mindset :)
    There are a LOT of BADASS brazilians in the sport, and almost all of them seem to be good guys as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry bro, I think almost everyone was surprised with the results of this card.

    The official scores for Maia/Silva were 50/45, 50/45, and 49/46. So one judge gave Maia round 5.

    I agree with you, Silva was pissed because Maia wouldn'y bumrush him so he could ko him. Which is ridiculous. It would be like Maia chiding Silva for not willingly going to the ground. I though Maia would clinch more and would have an easier time with the takedown. I think Silva gassed himself out dancing, and then couldnt finish the fight. I would be humiliated if I taunted and danced and then went to a decision, actually losing a round. But then again, I am sane.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and you will get it back. Strikeforce is next week. And Bellator is every week for 2 months. Its money making time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah I will get it back. I have never before got less than 50% right on my picks for a fight, and to go 1-7 on bets and only lose 6 units isn't bad.

    So the upside is this card was sort of like a worst-case scenario, and it still wasn't THAT bad, especially compared to how I have been doing lately with my new method. If all my bets on the experiment had been real I would still be up 12 units.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, that is not bad. You have to get into Bellator. They have fights every Thursday betwen last week and mid June. The fighters are pretty well known guys... I think Bellator is going to bolster my yearly return by giving me an extra 10 events I have to bet on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. GC, did you sit out Strikeforce? Probably a good decision considering the results.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, I did sit it out. I am still having trouble regularly accessing the internet. I am glad I missed this one though. I definitely thought Hendo would win, but I had sort of made up my mind to not take him at worse than -400 so I don't know if I would have made that bet or not.
    I would have won on Melendez and lost on Mousasi, so it still wouldn't be great.

    ReplyDelete