Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Bellator 26

I only have one bet so far on Bellator 26

Lisa Ward(-105) vs Aisling Daly(-125): 1.05 units to win 1 unit

I think Daly is the slight favorite here simply due to her being the slightly larger of the two fighters having competed at higher weights, and her undefeated record. While Ward will most likely be smaller, she is strong and has enjoyed a significant strength advantage over her previous opponents, so I think in terms of pure physicality these two will be pretty evenly matched.

on top of that Ward is a multiple-time grappling champion in no-gi and gi. Her striking is technically sound, as is her overall technique in general. On the other hand Daly has appeared more sloppy in some of her bouts.

I think Ward is a more well-rounded, more technical fighter, and has benefitted from higher quality opposition in the past. I think she is more technical on the feet, and her grappling should allow her to control the fight and threaten with submissions, even if she ends up on the bottom.




-The Wise Guy

6 comments:

  1. I have seen a couple other guys with the same play and similar view of the fight.

    I don't bet on the women... GL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that because you don't follow the fights, or are you one of the guys that gets squeamish and can't watch the women beat each other up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the pool of female fighters is too small. And I really don't think they are as good. Maybe it is misogynistic, but I think it is like watching ammy fights. It is too unpredictable. I mean 6 months ago, Gina Carano was the best female fighter in the world... now she will probably never fight again. I think they are mostly hobbyists.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the talent pool is definitely small, but that plus obvious mismatches can lead to some good odds, because there is almost no smart money affecting the lines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right about the talent level etc. Mostly that is because they simply can't make a living doing it, so they are either just hobbyists or not doing it at all.

    ReplyDelete